Want to start a food blog but don’t know where to start? I know how frustrating it can be to deal with technical stuff when you really just want to share that killer recipe. Whether you want to start a cooking blog, or you want to become a more successful food blogger, I hope these tips will ease your technical troubles.
Ready to start a beautiful food blog? You have two options:
- Hire a web designer to do it for you.Custom designs usually cost thousands of dollars, but they are certainly an option if you have the money to spend. Be sure to ask for references and wait times before you write a check.
- Do it yourself.I’ll explain how to build your own self-hosted WordPress website below. It will cost you as little for in hosting and domain name. I built this site myself using the tool .I know you can do it!
Start your own food blog: The basic steps
Here are the basic steps to set up a self-hosted WordPress food blog that is both beautiful and functional. Your blog will have your own domain name.
1) Name your blog and buy a matching domain name.
Domain names are short, memorable and typically end in .com (yourblogname.com).
2) Find a reliable web host.
A web host stores your website and makes it accessible to the world wide web. In other words, your website “lives” on your web host’s servers.
3) Install WordPress.
WordPress is top-of-the-line, industry standard blogging software.
4) Install a WordPress theme.
Your WordPress theme will determine the look, feel and functionality of your website.
5) Set up Google tools.
Google offers invaluable tools and services like Google Analytics and Search Console.
6) Install WordPress plugins.
WordPress plugins extend the functionality of WordPress in certain areas. For example, one of my recommended free WordPress plugins helps prevent spam comments.
Cost: free, mostly!
7) Start blogging!
Publish those recipes, stories and photos.
Cost: Hard work